(Image: Mapio)

In 1845, Garies sprang up on land given to the Dutch Reformed Church by the owner of the farm Goedeverwagting. Originally named after the farm, its present name, a Khoisan word meaning 'couch-grass', was given it by former Cape premier John X Merriman. A flood of visitors descends during the flower season and the Garies Municipal tourist hall stocks everything but the kitchen sink!

Related Pages