McGregor Museum

(Image: The Solomon)

McGregor Museum

The use of this building has metamorphosised over the years since its initial construction in 1897, when Cecil John Rhodes’ commissioned it as a sanatorium. As such, it served as his residence during the four-month siege of Kimberley and then it was refurbished and renamed the Hotel Belgrave.

Subsequently it was run as convent school run by the Sisters of the Holy Family from 1933 and then it finally became the McGregor Museum in 1971.  This took place when Mrs McGregor (the wife of previous mayor Alexander Mcgregor) donated the funds necessary to establish the Museum.