Namakwa flower update – 2 August 2017
The Namakwa flower season started yesterday.
Although the province has not received much rainfall over the past few months, the vegetation is getting greener. Come and experience the Northern Cape flower season during the day and spend your evenings stargazing under the wide-open Hantam Karoo skies.
Where to view flowers
- Calvinia (town centre with daisy and sporie displays)
- Niewoudtville (botanical garden with botterblom species on display)
- The flowers can be viewed between 11am to 3pm daily
Tips for tourists and flower viewers
- Keep in mind that the sun must be out for the flowers to open – the temperature should be 18 degrees Celsius, or higher
- It is not advised to plan a trip or day trip on an overcast, cloudy day
What to wear when viewing flowers
- Long pants (for walking around the fields)
- Comfortable shoes
Advice to tourists
- Accommodation must be booked in advance (as it gets fully booked rather quickly in the lead-up to this period)
- Most towns along the flower routes have fuel stations, ATMs and network connection